What were the final scores in your scenario for prosecution and defense? What side were you on? What primarily helped your win or lose?

Save this PDF as:
Size: px
Start display at page:

Download "What were the final scores in your scenario for prosecution and defense? What side were you on? What primarily helped your win or lose?"

Transcription

1 Quiz name: Make Your Case Debrief Activity ( ) Date: 01/27/2016 Question with Most Correct Answers: #0 Total Questions: 8 Question with Fewest Correct Answers: #0 1. What were the final scores in your scenario for prosecution and defense? What side were you on? What primarily helped your win or lose? The final scores were 125 for the defendant and 133 for the plaintiff. I was on the plaintiff side. The process, explanations, and walk through helped a lot Defense its because i objected a statement incorrectly The final scores were 49 and 79, the defendant scored 49 and the plantiff scored 79. I was on the defendant side and I believe the questions that I've asked were not helping me win. I believe that I needed more evidence to back up my claim. 67 to 67 i was on the defense team. we were both at fault 151 to 130 i was for the prosecution what helped me lost was the objections and my defense closing argument Prosecution, 113, and the Defense was 125. I was on the defense. The objections and the questions I asked helped me win. The prosecution side had a score of 121 and the defense was 113. I was on the defense side. I believe that some of the questions I asked also some objections that I made throughout the trial. 115 on defense and 83 for prosecution. I was prosecution. What made me lose was that some of the options that they gave me both looked right to both of us but they turned out to not be the right choices. 1. Prosecution Defense to 92, i was on the defendents side,not enough evidence The score was 110 and 96.I was the defendant.i choiced the best questiones thats what made me win The final score for prosecution was 109 points and the defendants had 102 points. Therefore apparently, the plaintiff had one. I was sided with the defendant. What primarily led me to lose was the final argument sadly. Page 1 of 12

2 the final scores were 94 to 88 i was on the counsel for the plaintiff. Defense 102 Prosecution 109. I was on prosecution and I was behind by one point, but my closing argument allowed me to win , prosecution, that he wasnt paying attention to the road we both got 67. I played prosecution we were both at fault 88 defense,prosecution 95 I was the defense the thing that made me lose was the fact that she was on a bike. Prosecution 97 and Defense 80. I was on Prosecution and the evidence that the defendant gave to my questions helped me win i was on the defense side. asking him about his speed limit made me win plantiff the case facts Yang,Alan The final score was 86 for prosecution and 93 for defense. I was on the prosecution side. What made me loss was because I asked the wrong questions. Dan Lee The final for defense was 93 and the prosecution was 86. I was the defense side. I won because I was correctly look for the information and listening to the witnesses. The final scores were 151 by the defense to 130 by the plaintiff, I was on the defendants side and choosing the correct questions to ask and correct objections to object with. 115 on defense and 83 for prosecution. I was on the defense side. Remember the facts, asking trick questions and having her repeat her statement helped me win the case because in court she was giving different answers then she gave today in court. prosecution won the case, i was on the defense, i lost by the objections the defense was 88 and the counsel for plaintiff was Who is the most important person in the courtroom? Why? The most important person in the courtroom is the witness because the witness sees more than the plaintiff and defendant and they aren't being biased. The judge is the most important in the courtroom because he decides everything. Page 2 of 12

3 The most important person in the courtroom is the jury because they're the ones that makes the decision. They hear both side of the story and discuss which one is guilty or not. Both plantiff and defendant should convince the jury to believe their story. the jury because the decide what the verdict The most important person in the court room is the witnesses they tell the story of the case The witnesses are the most important, because you never know if they are lying, or if they have been paid off. The most important person in the courtroom is the attorneys because there job is to persuade the jury why their client if not guilty. The judged is the most important because they are the ones who know the law more then everyone else in the courtroom. I was because I was the one defending the defendant from a negligent cyclist the jury cause they decide who wins the case I think its the defendant because its weather he is lying or saying the true I think the most important person in the courtroom is the judge due to the fact that he/she is the one who chooses who wins the case and who has shown and brought more evidence into the courtroom. the most important person in the courtroom is jury because the jury decides whether the defendant or plaintiff is wrong at the end of the trial. I think the most important PEOPLE in a court room are the jury because they are the ones who decide if your guilty or not guilty plaintiff there would be no case without her the jury is the most important people because the pick the verdict Plaintiff because she was the one that got ran over. Defendant because he answered all questions truthfully. the jury because they choose who they know is innocent the Dan Lee Page 3 of 12

4 The juror because it's their job to decide who win the court case. The most important person in the courtroom is the key witness like the defendant or the the plaintiff that can make them selves sound guilty or the other person. The judge is more important. judge because he has to be fair The judge is because he is the one the one that has ultimate power. 3. Describe the strategies (plans of action) used by each legal team. They attacked the simplest thing to capture the jury. Also the questions asked were all simple that caused more clarification when the opponent answered. Defense tries to answer question from the plaintiff. The actions used by each legal team is by asking questions to the plantiff and the defendant, backing it up with evidence to prove their claim. Then ask any witnesses that were around the scene and try to convince the jury to believe their story. they were a lot of strategies on the case Call up a witness and question them read their statement and see how they react to the questioning be sure to make the witness strengthen their side They both had to ask the right questions, use objections, and ultimately confuse the witness. Each legal team had a great opening statement and each of them had questions when re-directing a witness that caused doubt in the witnesses To persuade the jury to your side of the argument and to take down everything that the other side says. Truthfully I think my strategy of objecting to almost everything my strategies was to make them be on the defendents side I am not to sure about this The strategies used by each legal team was to try and confuse the witness in order for them to testify something they weren't suppose to say or admit. Page 4 of 12

5 we both read the questions and listened to the whole trial carefully. The defense mostly rode on the defendants speeding and him not keeping his eyes on the road. The prosecution mostly rode on how the plaintiff was not wearing reflective gear and how she didn't stop at the stop sign. defense tried to make it the plaintiffs fault, prosecution focused on how the defendant took his eyes off the road asked trick questions were you can tell both teams were getting a little upset Picked the right questions to ask the opponent. My strategy was to try to turn everything around against the defendant. my plan of action was to make him admit that he was speeding and not paying attention. defense tried to prove innocence the plantiff tried to prove guilty Dan Lee We both try very hard on this case and we did good or okay on this case. The defendants side tried to make the plaintiff sound negligent and that it was her fault by not wearing safety clothing and not stopping at the stop sign. The prosecution side tried to make the defendant extremely distracted. To persuade the jury to your side of the argument and to break down anything the other side says. objections I tried to give evidence from the plaintiffs side 4. Is there other evidence that would have been useful for the lawyers to present? What would it have been and how would it have been useful? I think the lawyers presented everything possible. more eye witnesses Well I think one evidence would be that if there were any cameras around the scene that happened between Winter's and Ramirez besides the witnesses that were around. That would of been very useful for the lawyers to present. no. no Page 5 of 12

6 the other witness who seen the accident, but she did not show up to the court nor did they know who she was No, the evidence provided was good enough and helped me win the case. I believe that some evidence that could've been used to in court would've been camera surveillance tapes to show exactly what happened without anyone lying. If the apartment across the streets have a camera that could be useful. The other person that was there could of been used as a witness. Lastly, how much damage the car and the bike had. the missing witness who left the scene without permission evidence proving that she caused the accident many things she said she thought of it and wasnt sure what she was saying.for example when she said she stop for 2 seconds but she said she waved and looked for cars and that doesnt take 2 seconds I think it would have been a bright idea if would have had the other lady who had left to be another witness against the plaintiff because Oshima did mention that the lady was sided with the defendant. other witnesses would be a lot more useful. I think the prosecution could have said something about how the neighbors statement could have been bias considering she knew the plaintiff, and if they would have gotten the unknown witnesses name, her statement could have been more valid since she did not know neither the defendant nor the plaintiff the other witness would have been useful no If Ms.Plaintiff stopped and checked both sides she shouldn't had got ran over. The other witness that was not shown. She/he would've helped because they seen no there was no other evidence that would have been useful. any other eye witnesses The missing witness would have been very useful because she would have much clearer accounts of what actually happened. Page 6 of 12

7 The fact that her witness happens to be her neighbor and she says that she seen her stop at the stop sign then says she didnt see her put her feet down off the peddles you cant stop at a stop sign and not take your feet down. Not only that she stated that she's not sure if she made a complete stop at the stop sign. No not really the case was fine If the defendant was paying attention and was "going the speed limit" like he claim he was, why didn't he slow down?? 5. Are there other questions you would have asked the witnesses who testified? What other question (questions) would you have asked the witnesses who testified? I would have asked the defendant why he kept getting so defensive What was the plaintiff wearing on the bicycle to get hit. No there would be no further questions. no i would of ask the neighbor where did she see the car stop and the guy if he was more concern about his date than driving safe No, the questions were fine. No I have no other questions that I would've asked the witnesses that testified. Did the defendant see you? Were there any cameras around? Why Didn't you stop at the stop sign Mrs. Winters no all the questions that was asked was good Did she see her do a complete stop on the stop on sign If I were to ask several to other questions to the witness, I would have asked Ms. Winters if when she had stopped at the stop light did she look left, right, and then left? Was she paying attention to her surroundings when she saw Oshima and said hi to her? in the game the questions were accurate. The neighbor if her statement was based on the person she was actually familiar of, I would have kept pressing the defendant on his being late to his date, and I would have kept asking about why the plaintiff lied under oath Page 7 of 12

8 there are no questions that i would have asked no Did she see the car, was he going in a high speed in a road of 25 speed? Honestly, I wouldn't really ask anymore questions but to the person that was the other witness too. No. There are no other questions i wanted to ask the witness. Was Mr. Ramirez speeding? what was the plantiff wearing during the accident I would have asked did she come to a complete stop or not ans if she said she did then i would have asked her why did the witness say she didn't. Another question I would have asked the defendant is did he feel safe before coming up upon the accident. No, I wouldn't have asked any other questions. why didnt she wait a little longer at the stop sign i would've asked Mrs. Oshima if the defendant tried to slow down. 6. What part did you play in the trial? Explain how you felt about this role. I plaid the lawyer of the plaintiff. I feet like I'm familiar with the role now Defendant I felt nervous when i was the defendant The part that I played in the trial is the defendant, being the defendant was kind of interesting at first in the beginning as I was playing but then as the case went on I kind of felt that the plantiff had more good evidence to prove her story to be true and being the defendant was a challenging role to play. i played s the defendant lawyer. it was a good role prosecution my role was to help her pay for the damage but did not win i did not like my role I played the defense lawyer. It was easy to defend someone that did not do anything wrong. I played the plaintiff and I felt like I now understand more clearly the point in creating doubt with the witnesses. Page 8 of 12

9 I plaid the prosecutor. I felt strongly on the role at first, but after they gave me trick questions that both me and my partner thought i should of got point on, i started to dislike my role. I was the defense attorney defendent,and i felt good about playing defendent cause i was able to make the charge go down 30% The defendant it was great I played the defendant in the trial and I felt that it was the plaintiff's fault. I felt that Ramirez had the right-a-way since he didn't have a stop sign ahead of him. i played the counsel for the plaintiff. I was the prosecution attorney, I liked it because that is what I want to be when I get older i was prosecution i like being on prosecution defendant and i felt like her argument was reasonable if the guy wouldnt of been in a hurry or on his phone and payed attention to the road nothing would of happened I was the defendant I like that role because you get to find clues on how to bring the prosecution down. I played on the Prosecution side and i felt confident that I was going to win because i M. i felt like i was a real lawyer arguing the case for my client. plantiff. i felt good because i knew he was innocent from the start I played the defendants lawyer and I felt like this role was very important to the outcome and that I played an honest role in finding the truth and rightful outcome. I played the defense role. I felt very confident about my role, because i had a lot of facts and knew how to use them against the other side and take down anything the other side had to say. defense i felt good trying to help someone not get acused of something that was not truly all there fault I played the Counsel for the Defendant, I liked it because there was a lot of evidence that showed the defendant was neglected. 7. What is the most important thing you learned by participating in the Mock Trial? Page 9 of 12

10 The most important thing is to think through how you are going to answer your questions because its hard to not contradict yourself and often its going to happen. Learning all the steps in the trial. By participating in the Mock Trial I've learned that many things are going on in the courtroom for instance like talking and backing it up with some evidence also arguing against the opponent to prove that you're right also convincing the jury as well. that it take a lot of hard skills to be a lawyer know your objection it helps with opposing your opponent I learned that it takes forever, and people talk to much, and I couldn't do it in real life. The most important thing that I have learned in participating in the Mock Trial is that you have to persuade the jury to think in favor of the person you are defending. The most important thing i learner was that using objections is really hard to do. I learned how to use the other sides evidence against them i been learning a lot about court very fun I think that the most important thing by participating in the Mock Trial was that I gained more knowledge of it and what is going on. I think it gave me a more understanding of the term "objection" and how to use it. to listen carefully and to answer in complete sentences and accurately. To listen to every little detail because it will help you that confusing witnesses is they key have questions that make the other team think twice and if they get upset is because your doing something right I learned to object at some times to bring the prosecution down. How it actually is in court during a trial. one of the most important thing i learned was if you are organized you will win. Page 10 of 12

11 you have to pay attention to the case facts The most important thing I learned was getting familiar with the type of objections. That you need to focus on the facts and not opinions. that questions can make or break you You have to gather all the evidence in order to show if he's guilty or not, so you're not wasting your time or anyone else 8. Discuss the verdict in the case: Do you think it was fair? Why or why not? I think the verdict was fair and it was thoroughly analyzed. Yes it was because i obviously hit her I believe that it was fair because it proved that it was an accident they were both side distracted and it was very dark at the time. the verdict said we were both at fault. yes because we they both did see if people or cars were crossing no i dont think it was fair i could of ask for more questions Yes, the verdict was fair. The defense deserved to win. I believe the verdict was fair because both of them were responsible for the accident that happened. They were both careless and negligent on the road and them getting blamed for the irresponsibility of both the Plaintiff and the Defendant is fair. I think is was fair because the plaintiff didn't do a good job at selling her story. I think it was fair the man only had to pay 20% less i dont think it was fair because t was more evidence on how the plaintiff caused the accident yes because I was right on everything I don't think that their final result was fair. I think that they should have discussed more about it due to the fact that Ms. Winters did look suspicious when she was up for witness. She kept admitting some stuff however she would repeatedly say "I think" or "I guess." Page 11 of 12

12 i don't think it was fair because the jury gave their own comments because they said "i think" before they gave the jury's opinion. Yes, since I feel they were both some what at fault, his fine should have been reduced so she isn't just getting the benefits i believe the verdict is fair i dont feel it was fair he as a driver of many years like he said should have not been on the phone or in z hurry since he said he is only on time to things that matter to him The defendant has to pay 40% of the damaged made which was $400+ something I think it seemed pretty fair because like they said before, the defendant was talking on the phone and was speeding when the accident occurred. Yes i do think it was fair. the driver of the car was not paying attention also while speeding.. yes he obviously hit her I don't think it was fair, the defendant shouldn't have paid any money to the plaintiff. Yes, I think the verdict case is fair because there was a lot of things the plaintiff did wrong. She wasn't following the rules and she clearly did not stop at the stop sign. No because we didnt have the other witness that said winter did not stop at the stop sign I think taking off 40% was not fair because the money she was getting was not enough for the expenses. Page 12 of 12

Case of the Missing Puppy

Case of the Missing Puppy Case of the Missing Puppy Goal To familiarize students with the civil justice legal process. Objectives 1. Students will demonstrate understanding and use of vocabulary associated with the legal process.

More information

To introduce the jury to the case, and help them get an under standing of whats going on.

To introduce the jury to the case, and help them get an under standing of whats going on. Quiz name: Mock Trial Warm Up - (1-26-2016) Date: 01/26/2016 Question with Most Correct Answers: #0 Total Questions: 4 Question with Fewest Correct Answers: #0 1. What is the purpose of opening arguments?

More information

English as a Second Language Podcast ESL Podcast Legal Problems

English as a Second Language Podcast   ESL Podcast Legal Problems GLOSSARY to be arrested to be taken to jail, usually by the police, for breaking the law * The police arrested two women for robbing a bank. to be charged to be blamed or held responsible for committing

More information

Case 0:13-cr KAM Document 76 Entered on FLSD Docket 05/19/2014 Page 1 of 20 UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF FLORIDA

Case 0:13-cr KAM Document 76 Entered on FLSD Docket 05/19/2014 Page 1 of 20 UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF FLORIDA Case 0:13-cr-60245-KAM Document 76 Entered on FLSD Docket 05/19/2014 Page 1 of 20 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF FLORIDA Case No. 13-60245-CR-MARRA(s) v. Plaintiff,

More information

Who s who in a Criminal Trial

Who s who in a Criminal Trial Mock Criminal Trial Scenario Who s who in a Criminal Trial ACCUSED The accused is the person who is alleged to have committed the criminal offence, and who has been charged with committing it. Before being

More information

A Guide to Giving Evidence in Court

A Guide to Giving Evidence in Court Preparation A Guide to Giving Evidence in Court It doesn't matter whether you have a lot of experience or a little - you may find that the witness box is a lonely place if you are not prepared for it.

More information

PRETRIAL INSTRUCTIONS. CACI No. 100

PRETRIAL INSTRUCTIONS. CACI No. 100 PRETRIAL INSTRUCTIONS CACI No. 100 You have now been sworn as jurors in this case. I want to impress on you the seriousness and importance of serving on a jury. Trial by jury is a fundamental right in

More information

American Government Jury Duty

American Government Jury Duty Non-fiction: American Government Jury Duty American Government Jury Duty One day I got a curious letter in the mail. I had never seen anything like it. I didn t recognize the address, but it seemed to

More information

JUDGE DENISE POSSE LINDBERG STOCK CIVIL JURY INSTRUCTIONS TABLE OF CONTENTS

JUDGE DENISE POSSE LINDBERG STOCK CIVIL JURY INSTRUCTIONS TABLE OF CONTENTS JUDGE DENISE POSSE LINDBERG STOCK CIVIL JURY INSTRUCTIONS TABLE OF CONTENTS Stock Opening Instructions Introduction and General Instructions... 1 Summary of the Case... 2 Role of Judge, Jury and Lawyers...

More information

1 IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT 2 FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF OHIO 3 * * * 4 NORTHEAST OHIO COALITION. 5 FOR THE HOMELESS, et al.

1 IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT 2 FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF OHIO 3 * * * 4 NORTHEAST OHIO COALITION. 5 FOR THE HOMELESS, et al. 1 IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT Page 1 2 FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF OHIO 3 * * * 4 NORTHEAST OHIO COALITION 5 FOR THE HOMELESS, et al., 6 Plaintiffs, 7 vs. CASE NO. C2-06-896 8 JENNIFER BRUNNER,

More information

4. CROSS EXAMINATION 159

4. CROSS EXAMINATION 159 4. CROSS EXAMINATION 159 160 Trial Advocacy, Cross-Examination: The Basics Ben B. Rubinowitz and Evan Torgan Cross-examination involves relatively straightforward skills. Through preparation of your case,

More information

STATE OF NEW MEXICO COUNTY OF DONA ANA THIRD JUDICIAL DISTRICT CV WILLIAM TURNER, Plaintiff, vs.

STATE OF NEW MEXICO COUNTY OF DONA ANA THIRD JUDICIAL DISTRICT CV WILLIAM TURNER, Plaintiff, vs. 0 0 STATE OF NEW MEXICO COUNTY OF DONA ANA THIRD JUDICIAL DISTRICT WILLIAM TURNER, vs. Plaintiff, CV-0- ROZELLA BRANSFORD, et al., Defendants. TRANSCRIPT OF PROCEEDINGS On the th day of November 0, at

More information

>> THE NEXT CASE ON THE DOCKET IS GARRETT VERSUS STATE OF FLORIDA. >> WHENEVER YOU'RE READY. >> MAY IT PLEASE THE COURT, MY NAME IS MEGAN LONG WITH

>> THE NEXT CASE ON THE DOCKET IS GARRETT VERSUS STATE OF FLORIDA. >> WHENEVER YOU'RE READY. >> MAY IT PLEASE THE COURT, MY NAME IS MEGAN LONG WITH >> THE NEXT CASE ON THE DOCKET IS GARRETT VERSUS STATE OF FLORIDA. >> WHENEVER YOU'RE READY. >> MAY IT PLEASE THE COURT, MY NAME IS MEGAN LONG WITH THE PUBLIC DEFENDER'S OFFICE OF THE SECOND JUDICIAL CIRCUIT.

More information

Law Day 2016 Courtroom Vocabulary Grades 3-5

Law Day 2016 Courtroom Vocabulary Grades 3-5 Law Day 2016 Courtroom Vocabulary Grades 3-5 Court- a place where legal trials are held Crime- something that is against the law Defendant- the person being charged with a crime Defense Attorney- the lawyer

More information

-1- NOTES TO A WITNESS AT AN ARBITRATION HEARING

-1- NOTES TO A WITNESS AT AN ARBITRATION HEARING -1- NOTES TO A WITNESS AT AN ARBITRATION HEARING As a witness, you will be playing a very important role in the upcoming hearing. Through you, we present the facts that are essential to our case. Please

More information

Defense Motion for Mistrial

Defense Motion for Mistrial Defense Motion for Mistrial MR. RICHARD C. MOSTY: Your Honor, 11 could we take care of a housekeeping matter? 12 THE COURT: We sure can. Just a 13 moment. 14 All right. Ladies and gentlemen of 15 the jury,

More information

A Survivor s Guide. to Sexual Assault Prosecution. Nova Scotia Public Prosecution Service

A Survivor s Guide. to Sexual Assault Prosecution. Nova Scotia Public Prosecution Service A Survivor s Guide to Sexual Assault Prosecution Nova Scotia Public Prosecution Service A Survivor s Guide to Sexual Assault Prosecution Nova Scotia Public Prosecution Service Table of Contents Contact

More information

Case 3:15-cv HEH-RCY Document Filed 02/05/16 Page 1 of 6 PageID# Exhibit D

Case 3:15-cv HEH-RCY Document Filed 02/05/16 Page 1 of 6 PageID# Exhibit D Case 3:15-cv-00357-HEH-RCY Document 139-4 Filed 02/05/16 Page 1 of 6 PageID# 1828 Exhibit D Case 3:15-cv-00357-HEH-RCY Document 139-4 Filed 02/05/16 Page 2 of 6 PageID# 1829 1 IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT

More information

Going to court. A booklet for children and young people who are going to be witnesses at Crown, magistrates or youth court

Going to court. A booklet for children and young people who are going to be witnesses at Crown, magistrates or youth court Going to court A booklet for children and young people who are going to be witnesses at Crown, magistrates or youth court 5051688011814 This booklet tells you: 1 2 3 4 What a witness does Who will be

More information

V.-E. DEPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS

V.-E. DEPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS V.-E. DEPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS (Note: Some of the advice provided below is applicable primarily in personal injury cases. Practitioners will wish to tailor these instructions to suit particular cases.)

More information

Course Court Systems and Practices. Unit VII Courtroom Professionalism and Personnel

Course Court Systems and Practices. Unit VII Courtroom Professionalism and Personnel Course Court Systems and Practices Unit VII Courtroom Professionalism and Personnel Essential Question What are the roles and responsibilities of members of the courtroom work group? TEKS 130.296(c) (2)(A)(B)

More information

A Guide for Witnesses

A Guide for Witnesses Community Legal Information Association of Prince Edward Island, Inc. A Guide for Witnesses Introduction You may be called as a witness for either a criminal or civil trial. This pamphlet explains your

More information

Confronting the Immigration Bias in Jury Selection

Confronting the Immigration Bias in Jury Selection Confronting the Immigration Bias in Jury Selection By Ben Rubinowitz and Evan Torgan 09/07/2017 It goes without saying that a thoughtful and well-planned jury selection is critical to the success of your

More information

3 IN THE GENERAL DISTRICT COURT OF PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY

3 IN THE GENERAL DISTRICT COURT OF PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY 1 4-7-10 Page 1 2 V I R G I N I A 3 IN THE GENERAL DISTRICT COURT OF PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY 4 5 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 6 THIDA WIN, : 7 Plaintiff, : 8 versus, : GV09022748-00 9 NAVY FEDERAL CREDIT

More information

21 Proceedings reported by Certified Shorthand. 22 Reporter and Machine Shorthand/Computer-Aided

21 Proceedings reported by Certified Shorthand. 22 Reporter and Machine Shorthand/Computer-Aided 1 1 CAUSE NUMBER 2011-47860 2 IN RE : VU T RAN, IN THE DISTRICT COURT 3 HARRIS COUNTY, TEXAS 4 PETITIONER 164th JUDICIAL DISTRICT 5 6 7 8 9 ******************************************* * ***** 10 SEPTEMBER

More information

Siemens' Bribery Scandal Peter Solmssen

Siemens' Bribery Scandal Peter Solmssen TRACE International Podcast Siemens' Bribery Scandal Peter Solmssen [00:00:07] On today's podcast, I'm speaking with a lawyer with extraordinary corporate and compliance experience, including as General

More information

COURT IN SESSION TEACHER PACK CONTEMPORARY COURTROOM WORKSHOP CYBERBULLYING

COURT IN SESSION TEACHER PACK CONTEMPORARY COURTROOM WORKSHOP CYBERBULLYING COURT IN SESSION TEACHER PACK CONTEMPORARY COURTROOM WORKSHOP CYBERBULLYING National Justice Museum Education 2 WHAT TO DO BEFORE THE VISIT Print a hard copy of the Student Pack for each student. All students

More information

IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF SNOHOMISH. Petitioner, ) vs. ) Cause No Defendant.

IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF SNOHOMISH. Petitioner, ) vs. ) Cause No Defendant. IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF SNOHOMISH MICHAEL RAETHER AND SAVANNA ) RAETHER, ) ) Petitioner, ) ) vs. ) Cause No. --0-0 DEUTSCHE BANK NATIONAL TRUST ) COMPANY;

More information

NOT DESIGNATED FOR PUBLICATION. No. 118,787 IN THE COURT OF APPEALS OF THE STATE OF KANSAS. STATE OF KANSAS, Appellee, COY RAY CARTMELL, Appellant.

NOT DESIGNATED FOR PUBLICATION. No. 118,787 IN THE COURT OF APPEALS OF THE STATE OF KANSAS. STATE OF KANSAS, Appellee, COY RAY CARTMELL, Appellant. NOT DESIGNATED FOR PUBLICATION No. 118,787 IN THE COURT OF APPEALS OF THE STATE OF KANSAS STATE OF KANSAS, Appellee, v. COY RAY CARTMELL, Appellant. MEMORANDUM OPINION 2019. Affirmed. Appeal from Butler

More information

The Florida Bar v. Bruce Edward Committe

The Florida Bar v. Bruce Edward Committe The following is a real-time transcript taken as closed captioning during the oral argument proceedings, and as such, may contain errors. This service is provided solely for the purpose of assisting those

More information

STATE OF WISCONSIN CIRCUIT COURT DANE COUNTY Branch 9

STATE OF WISCONSIN CIRCUIT COURT DANE COUNTY Branch 9 STATE OF WISCONSIN CIRCUIT COURT DANE COUNTY Branch FILED 0-0-1 CIRCUIT COURT DANE COUNTY, WI 1CV000 AMY LYNN PHOTOGRAPHY STUDIO, LLC, et al., Plaintiffs, vs. Case No. 1 CV CITY OF MADISON, et al., Defendants.

More information

Areeq Chowdhury: Yeah, could you speak a little bit louder? I just didn't hear the last part of that question.

Areeq Chowdhury: Yeah, could you speak a little bit louder? I just didn't hear the last part of that question. So, what do you say to the fact that France dropped the ability to vote online, due to fears of cyber interference, and the 2014 report by Michigan University and Open Rights Group found that Estonia's

More information

THE JOURNAL OF APPELLATE PRACTICE AND PROCESS

THE JOURNAL OF APPELLATE PRACTICE AND PROCESS THE JOURNAL OF APPELLATE PRACTICE AND PROCESS VOLUME 5/NUMBER 1 SPRING 2003 I COULDN'T WAIT TO ARGUE Timothy Coates WILLIAM H. BOWEN SCHOOL OF LAW UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT LITTLE ROCK I COULDN'T WAIT

More information

VOIR DIRE By: James Roberts Most experienced attorneys agree that the liability portion of a civil case is decided by the end of opening statements.

VOIR DIRE By: James Roberts Most experienced attorneys agree that the liability portion of a civil case is decided by the end of opening statements. VOIR DIRE By: James Roberts Most experienced attorneys agree that the liability portion of a civil case is decided by the end of opening statements. For a plaintiff s counsel, that means that where a jury

More information

A Guide to Your First Mock Trial

A Guide to Your First Mock Trial A Guide to Your First Mock Trial Opening Statement (Begin with some kind of hook or story to make the jury interested in your statement.) Good morning ladies and gentlemen of the jury. My name is and I

More information

5 v. 11 Cv (JSR) 6 SONAR CAPITAL MANAGEMENT LLC, et al., 7 Defendants x 9 February 17, :00 p.m.

5 v. 11 Cv (JSR) 6 SONAR CAPITAL MANAGEMENT LLC, et al., 7 Defendants x 9 February 17, :00 p.m. Case 1:11-cv-09665-JSR Document 20 Filed 03/02/12 Page 1 of 20 1 1 UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK 2 ------------------------------x 3 SIDNEY GORDON, 4 Plaintiff, 5 v. 11 Cv.

More information

WRITING FOR TRIALS 1

WRITING FOR TRIALS 1 WRITING FOR TRIALS 1 2017 The Writing Center at GULC. All Rights Reserved. I. Introduction Whether you are taking a trial practice class, competing in a mock trial tournament, representing a clinic client,

More information

>> THE NEXT CASE ON THE DOCKET IS THE CASE OF CLARKE V. UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. WHAT DID I SAY, CLARKE V. UNITED STATES? >> YEAH.

>> THE NEXT CASE ON THE DOCKET IS THE CASE OF CLARKE V. UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. WHAT DID I SAY, CLARKE V. UNITED STATES? >> YEAH. >> THE NEXT CASE ON THE DOCKET IS THE CASE OF CLARKE V. UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. WHAT DID I SAY, CLARKE V. UNITED STATES? >> YEAH. >> YOU MAY PROCEED WHEN YOU'RE READY, COUNSEL. >> THANK YOU, MR. CHIEF

More information

Maggie Knowles v. Beverly Enterprises-Florida, Inc.

Maggie Knowles v. Beverly Enterprises-Florida, Inc. The following is a real-time transcript taken as closed captioning during the oral argument proceedings, and as such, may contain errors. This service is provided solely for the purpose of assisting those

More information

PRESS BRIEFING BY JOHN SCHMIDT, ASSOCIATE ATTORNEY GENERAL, DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE,

PRESS BRIEFING BY JOHN SCHMIDT, ASSOCIATE ATTORNEY GENERAL, DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE, THE WHITE HOUSE Office of the Press Secretary For Immediate Release June 25, 1996 PRESS BRIEFING BY JOHN SCHMIDT, ASSOCIATE ATTORNEY GENERAL, DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE, AILEEN ADAMS, DIRECTOR OF THE OFFICE

More information

STIPULATED JURY INSTRUCTIONS State v. Manny Rayfield Curr County Circuit Court Case No State of New Maine

STIPULATED JURY INSTRUCTIONS State v. Manny Rayfield Curr County Circuit Court Case No State of New Maine STIPULATED JURY INSTRUCTIONS State v. Manny Rayfield Curr County Circuit Court Case No. 09-3031 State of New Maine Instruction Number Instruction Description 1. Preliminary Instructions 2. Functions of

More information

UNITED STATES BANKRUPTCY COURT WESTERN DISTRICT OF PENNSYLVANIA

UNITED STATES BANKRUPTCY COURT WESTERN DISTRICT OF PENNSYLVANIA UNITED STATES BANKRUPTCY COURT WESTERN DISTRICT OF PENNSYLVANIA IN RE:. Case No. 0-.. SHARON DIANE HILL,.. USX Tower - th Floor. 00 Grant Street. Pittsburgh, PA Debtor,.. December 0, 00................

More information

Case 3:16-md VC Document 2940 Filed 03/07/19 Page 1 of 16 UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT NORTHERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA

Case 3:16-md VC Document 2940 Filed 03/07/19 Page 1 of 16 UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT NORTHERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA Case 3:16-md-02741-VC Document 2940 Filed 03/07/19 Page 1 of 16 UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT NORTHERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA IN RE: ROUNDUP PRODUCTS LIABILITY LITGATION This document relates to: Hardeman

More information

NOT DESIGNATED FOR PUBLICATION. No. 117,965 IN THE COURT OF APPEALS OF THE STATE OF KANSAS. STATE OF KANSAS, Appellee,

NOT DESIGNATED FOR PUBLICATION. No. 117,965 IN THE COURT OF APPEALS OF THE STATE OF KANSAS. STATE OF KANSAS, Appellee, NOT DESIGNATED FOR PUBLICATION No. 117,965 IN THE COURT OF APPEALS OF THE STATE OF KANSAS STATE OF KANSAS, Appellee, v. CURTIS ANTHONY THAXTON, Appellant. MEMORANDUM OPINION 2018. Affirmed. Appeal from

More information

Second, you must not be influenced by sympathy, passion or prejudice in favor of any party or against any of the parties.

Second, you must not be influenced by sympathy, passion or prejudice in favor of any party or against any of the parties. CLOSING INSTRUCTIONS Members of the jury, we now come to that part of the case where I must give you the instructions on the law. If you cannot hear me, please raise your hand. It is important that you

More information

Charles B. Higgins v. State Farm Fire & Casualty

Charles B. Higgins v. State Farm Fire & Casualty The following is a real-time transcript taken as closed captioning during the oral argument proceedings, and as such, may contain errors. This service is provided solely for the purpose of assisting those

More information

Kenneth Friedman, M.D. v. Heart Institute of Port St. Lucie, Inc.

Kenneth Friedman, M.D. v. Heart Institute of Port St. Lucie, Inc. The following is a real-time transcript taken as closed captioning during the oral argument proceedings, and as such, may contain errors. This service is provided solely for the purpose of assisting those

More information

Case 2:12-cv WCO Document 16-3 Filed 04/06/13 Page 1 of 25. Exhibit C

Case 2:12-cv WCO Document 16-3 Filed 04/06/13 Page 1 of 25. Exhibit C Case 2:12-cv-00262-WCO Document 16-3 Filed 04/06/13 Page 1 of 25 Exhibit C Case 2:12-cv-00262-WCO Document 16-3 Filed 04/06/13 Page 2 of 25 UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT MIDDLE DISTRICT OF FLORIDA TAMPA

More information

AN INMATES GUIDE TO. Habeas Corpus. Includes the 11 things you must know about the habeas system

AN INMATES GUIDE TO. Habeas Corpus. Includes the 11 things you must know about the habeas system AN INMATES GUIDE TO Habeas Corpus Includes the 11 things you must know about the habeas system by Walter M. Reaves, Jr. i DISCLAIMER This guide has been prepared as an aid to those who have an interest

More information

Voter Experience Survey November 2016

Voter Experience Survey November 2016 The November 2016 Voter Experience Survey was administered online with Survey Monkey and distributed via email to Seventy s 11,000+ newsletter subscribers and through the organization s Twitter and Facebook

More information

Learning Station #5 LEVEL ONE-13

Learning Station #5 LEVEL ONE-13 Learning Station #5 I am an attorney, and I represent the rights of the citizens of the State of Texas in a criminal trial. It is my job to convince the jury that the defendant is guilty of breaking the

More information

California Bar Examination

California Bar Examination California Bar Examination Essay Question: Evidence And Selected Answers The Orahte Group is NOT affiliated with The State Bar of California PRACTICE PACKET p.1 Question Paul sued David in federal court

More information

CHARACTERS IN THE COURTROOM

CHARACTERS IN THE COURTROOM CHARACTERS IN THE COURTROOM Learning Objectives: Students will 1. State the positions and responsibilities of all the officers of the court. 2. Utilize problem solving skills through the use of analysis

More information

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT CENTRAL DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA HONORABLE PERCY ANDERSON, JUDGE PRESIDING. Plaintiff, ) ) ) ) Vs. Defendant.

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT CENTRAL DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA HONORABLE PERCY ANDERSON, JUDGE PRESIDING. Plaintiff, ) ) ) ) Vs. Defendant. CENTRAL DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA HONORABLE PERCY ANDERSON, JUDGE PRESIDING 0 TODD KIMSEY, Plaintiff, Vs. BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD OF TEXAS, Defendant. No. CV - PA REPORTER'S TRANSCRIPT OF STATUS CONFERENCE

More information

Barbara Harris, v. Toys R Us 880 A.2d 1270 Superior Court of Pennsylvania August 3, 2005

Barbara Harris, v. Toys R Us 880 A.2d 1270 Superior Court of Pennsylvania August 3, 2005 Barbara Harris, v. Toys R Us Readers were referred to this case on page 210 of the 9 th edition Barbara Harris, v. Toys R Us 880 A.2d 1270 Superior Court of Pennsylvania August 3, 2005 Lally-Green, J.:

More information

California Bar Examination

California Bar Examination California Bar Examination Essay Question: Evidence And Selected Answers The Orahte Group is NOT affiliated with The State Bar of California PRACTICE PACKET p.1 Question While driving their cars, Paula

More information

GENERAL CLOSING INSTRUCTIONS. Members of the jury, it is now time for me to tell you the law that applies to

GENERAL CLOSING INSTRUCTIONS. Members of the jury, it is now time for me to tell you the law that applies to GENERAL CLOSING INSTRUCTIONS Members of the jury, it is now time for me to tell you the law that applies to this case. As I mentioned at the beginning of the trial, you must follow the law as I state it

More information

THE PEOPLE VS. DANNY DEFENDANT TRIAL PLAY

THE PEOPLE VS. DANNY DEFENDANT TRIAL PLAY THE PEOPLE VS. DANNY DEFENDANT TRIAL PLAY BAILIFF: BAILIFF: ALL RISE. COURT IS NOW IN SESSION, THE HONORABLE ROBIN SOLOMON, JUDGE OF THE MONTEREY COUNTY SUPERIOR COURT, PRESIDING. [The judge enters the

More information

JURY INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE VOIR DIRE EXAMINATION-CRIMINAL

JURY INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE VOIR DIRE EXAMINATION-CRIMINAL JURY INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE VOIR DIRE EXAMINATION-CRIMINAL Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury Panel: I. Thank you for being here. We are here to select a jury. Six of you will be chosen for the jury. Even if

More information

Defense: Your goal is to convince as many members of the jury as possible that Abigail Williams is innocent of murder. 4 Attorneys

Defense: Your goal is to convince as many members of the jury as possible that Abigail Williams is innocent of murder. 4 Attorneys English 10 Crucible Mock Trial The People vs. Abigail Williams Assignment: You will be conducting a mock trial in which the innocence or guilt of Abigail Williams will be determined. For our purposes,

More information

Going to Court. A DVD and booklet for young witnesses

Going to Court. A DVD and booklet for young witnesses Going to Court A DVD and booklet for young witnesses We have prepared this booklet for young witnesses in criminal cases but other people may also find it useful. It explains what a witness is, what a

More information

THE ANSWER BOOK FOR JURY SERVICE

THE ANSWER BOOK FOR JURY SERVICE THE ANSWER BOOK FOR JURY SERVICE Message from the Chief Justice You have been requested to serve on a jury. Service on a jury is one of the most important responsibilities that you will exercise as a citizen

More information

NOT DESIGNATED FOR PUBLICATION. No. 115,650 IN THE COURT OF APPEALS OF THE STATE OF KANSAS. JOHN BALBIRNIE, Appellant, STATE OF KANSAS, Appellee.

NOT DESIGNATED FOR PUBLICATION. No. 115,650 IN THE COURT OF APPEALS OF THE STATE OF KANSAS. JOHN BALBIRNIE, Appellant, STATE OF KANSAS, Appellee. NOT DESIGNATED FOR PUBLICATION No. 115,650 IN THE COURT OF APPEALS OF THE STATE OF KANSAS JOHN BALBIRNIE, Appellant, v. STATE OF KANSAS, Appellee. MEMORANDUM OPINION 2017. Affirmed. Appeal from Franklin

More information

Victim / Witness Handbook. Table of Contents

Victim / Witness Handbook. Table of Contents Victim / Witness Handbook Table of Contents A few words about the Criminal Justice System Arrest Warrants Subpoenas Misdemeanors & Felonies General Sessions Court Arraignment at General Sessions Court

More information

Going. A booklet for children and young people who are going to be witnesses at Crown, magistrates or youth court

Going. A booklet for children and young people who are going to be witnesses at Crown, magistrates or youth court Going to court A booklet for children and young people who are going to be witnesses at Crown, magistrates or youth court This book should be read with the assistance of an adult supporter who knows about

More information

Gerald Lynn Bates v. State of Florida

Gerald Lynn Bates v. State of Florida The following is a real-time transcript taken as closed captioning during the oral argument proceedings, and as such, may contain errors. This service is provided solely for the purpose of assisting those

More information

The Criminal Court System. Law 521 Chapter Seven

The Criminal Court System. Law 521 Chapter Seven The Criminal Court System Law 521 Chapter Seven The Feds make criminal law and procedure. Criminal Court Structure Provinces responsible for organizing, administering, and maintaining the criminal court

More information

Lennard Lapoint Jenkins vs State of Florida

Lennard Lapoint Jenkins vs State of Florida The following is a real-time transcript taken as closed captioning during the oral argument proceedings, and as such, may contain errors. This service is provided solely for the purpose of assisting those

More information

Kelly Tormey v. Michael Moore

Kelly Tormey v. Michael Moore The following is a real-time transcript taken as closed captioning during the oral argument proceedings, and as such, may contain errors. This service is provided solely for the purpose of assisting those

More information

The criminal justice system cannot function without the participation of witnesses like you.

The criminal justice system cannot function without the participation of witnesses like you. Your Role as a Witness in a Criminal Case The criminal justice system cannot function without the participation of witnesses like you. The information you provide is evidence that helps police solve crimes

More information

1 IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF THE 11th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT IN AND FOR MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, FLORIDA 2 CASE NO.:

1 IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF THE 11th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT IN AND FOR MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, FLORIDA 2 CASE NO.: IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF THE th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT IN AND FOR MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, FLORIDA 2 CASE NO.: 3 4 Plaintiff, 5 -vs- 6 MIAMI-DADE COUNTY a municipal corporation 7 and political subdivision of the State

More information

YOU VE been CHARGED. with a CRIME What YOU. NEED to KNOW

YOU VE been CHARGED. with a CRIME What YOU. NEED to KNOW YOU VE been CHARGED with a CRIME What YOU NEED to KNOW 1 This booklet is intended to provide general information only. If you require specific legal advice, please consult the appropriate legislation or

More information

What The Government Hopes Won't Happen. What if the good citizens did the following upon receiving a knock on their doors?

What The Government Hopes Won't Happen. What if the good citizens did the following upon receiving a knock on their doors? What The Government Hopes Won't Happen What if the good citizens did the following upon receiving a knock on their doors? The citizen calls through the door, "Who is it?" The reply is, "I'm police officer/deputy

More information

The Northeast Ohio Coalition for the Homeless, et al. v. Brunner, Jennifer, etc.

The Northeast Ohio Coalition for the Homeless, et al. v. Brunner, Jennifer, etc. 1 IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT 2 FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF OHIO 3 THE NORTHEAST OHIO ) 4 COALITION FOR THE ) HOMELESS, ET AL., ) 5 ) Plaintiffs, ) 6 ) vs. ) Case No. C2-06-896 7 ) JENNIFER BRUNNER,

More information

Courtroom Roles and Responsibilities

Courtroom Roles and Responsibilities Courtroom Roles and Responsibilities Copyright and Terms of Service Copyright Texas Education Agency, 2011. These materials are copyrighted and trademarked as the property of the Texas Education Agency

More information

Do I have your permission to record this? Taking an effective recorded statement of an injured worker.

Do I have your permission to record this? Taking an effective recorded statement of an injured worker. Do I have your permission to record this? Taking an effective recorded statement of an injured worker. Benefits Determine if claim is compensable Event is still fresh in worker s mind Evaluate subrogation

More information

Amendments to Florida Rules of Appellate Procedure

Amendments to Florida Rules of Appellate Procedure The following is a real-time transcript taken as closed captioning during the oral argument proceedings, and as such, may contain errors. This service is provided solely for the purpose of assisting those

More information

>> NEXT CASE UP IS JOAN SCHOEFF, ETC. C. R.J. REYNOLDS TOBACCO COMPANY. >> I THINK THAT -- >> JUST WAIT FOR THEM TO STEP OUT. THIS IS DOWN A LITTLE

>> NEXT CASE UP IS JOAN SCHOEFF, ETC. C. R.J. REYNOLDS TOBACCO COMPANY. >> I THINK THAT -- >> JUST WAIT FOR THEM TO STEP OUT. THIS IS DOWN A LITTLE >> NEXT CASE UP IS JOAN SCHOEFF, ETC. C. R.J. REYNOLDS TOBACCO COMPANY. >> I THINK THAT -- >> JUST WAIT FOR THEM TO STEP OUT. THIS IS DOWN A LITTLE BIT. HOW DO YOU PRONOUNCE YOUR CLIENT'S NAME? >> THIS

More information

You are summoned for jury duty

You are summoned for jury duty You are summoned for jury duty Relax. Jury summons aren't being issued by email yet. But it is likely that some day you will receive a summons to serve on a jury. The first reaction of many people is to

More information

FILED: NEW YORK COUNTY CLERK 07/22/ :04 PM INDEX NO /2014 NYSCEF DOC. NO. 34 RECEIVED NYSCEF: 07/22/2016

FILED: NEW YORK COUNTY CLERK 07/22/ :04 PM INDEX NO /2014 NYSCEF DOC. NO. 34 RECEIVED NYSCEF: 07/22/2016 FILED: NEW YORK COUNTY CLERK 07/22/2016 12:04 PM INDEX NO. 159878/2014 NYSCEF DOC. NO. 34 RECEIVED NYSCEF: 07/22/2016 1 Page 1 SUPREME COURT OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK COUNTY OF NEW YORK ------------------------------------------X

More information

Testimony of Lloyd Harrell

Testimony of Lloyd Harrell Testimony of Lloyd Harrell DIRECT EXAMINATION 13 14 BY MR. S. PRESTON DOUGLASS: 15 Q. Please state your name. 16 A. Lloyd Harrell, H-A-R-R-E-L-L. 17 Q. Where do you live? 18 A. I live in Smith County,

More information

Amendments To Uniform Guidelines For Taxation of Costs

Amendments To Uniform Guidelines For Taxation of Costs The following is a real-time transcript taken as closed captioning during the oral argument proceedings, and as such, may contain errors. This service is provided solely for the purpose of assisting those

More information

* * * * * * * * Members of the Jury Panel [or Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury Panel]:

* * * * * * * * Members of the Jury Panel [or Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury Panel]: Misc. Docket No. 11-9047 AMENDMENTS TO TEXAS RULES OF CIVIL PROCEDURE 281 AND 284 AND TO THE JURY INSTRUCTIONS UNDER TEXAS RULE OF CIVIL PROCEDURE 226A ORDERED that: 1. Pursuant to Section 22.004 of the

More information

THE NEXT PHASE IS SHAHLA RABIE VS. PALACE RESORTS. THE PLAINTIFF SELECTION IS ONLY GOING TO BE CHALLENGED WHEN THE DEFENDANT CAN SHOW THAT THE

THE NEXT PHASE IS SHAHLA RABIE VS. PALACE RESORTS. THE PLAINTIFF SELECTION IS ONLY GOING TO BE CHALLENGED WHEN THE DEFENDANT CAN SHOW THAT THE THE NEXT PHASE IS SHAHLA RABIE VS. PALACE RESORTS. THE PLAINTIFF SELECTION IS ONLY GOING TO BE CHALLENGED WHEN THE DEFENDANT CAN SHOW THAT THE PRIVATE INTEREST OF THE DEFENDANT IS INTERESTED IN PROTECTING

More information

trial preparation packet

trial preparation packet Name: Period: Date: Ch. XI Rome and Christianity Mr. Freewalt s 7 th Grade Social Studies Presents: Citizens of Rome v. Marcus Brutus trial preparation packet The accused (Marcus Brutus) has been charged

More information

HANDBOOK FOR VICTIMS/WITNESSES OF VIOLENT CRIMES

HANDBOOK FOR VICTIMS/WITNESSES OF VIOLENT CRIMES HANDBOOK FOR VICTIMS/WITNESSES OF VIOLENT CRIMES Thank you for your cooperation and hard work as a victim/witness. TABLE OF CONTENTS Illinois Crime Victims Bill of Rights Introduction General Information

More information

HINTS FOR PREPARING FOR THE MOCK TRIAL COMPETITION

HINTS FOR PREPARING FOR THE MOCK TRIAL COMPETITION 2012 - HINTS FOR PREPARING FOR THE MOCK TRIAL COMPETITION TABLE OF CONTENTS I. Trial Overview 1 A. Governing Rules 1 B. Trial Basics 1 II. Opening Statements 2 A. Structure And Outline To Organize Your

More information

1 UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF FLORIDA 2 CASE NO. 12-CV MGC. Plaintiff, June 11, vs.

1 UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF FLORIDA 2 CASE NO. 12-CV MGC. Plaintiff, June 11, vs. Case 1:12-cv-21799-MGC Document 115 Entered on FLSD Docket 08/01/2013 Page 1 of 1 1 UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF FLORIDA 2 CASE NO. 12-CV-21799-MGC 3 4 JERRY ROBIN REYES, 5 vs. Plaintiff,

More information

[The following paragraph should be given when the court gives the final instructions after the closing arguments:

[The following paragraph should be given when the court gives the final instructions after the closing arguments: defendant is charged, it is your duty to find him/her guilty of that offense. On the other hand, if you find that the government has failed to prove any element of the offense beyond a reasonable doubt,

More information

Learning Objectives. Prerequisites

Learning Objectives. Prerequisites In We the Jury, your students take on the role of a juror in a civil case. Jurors meet in the deliberation room to weigh the evidence and reach a verdict. But it s not easy all jurors must agree which

More information

OHIO CRIMINAL SENTENCING LAWS

OHIO CRIMINAL SENTENCING LAWS 1 WHITE PAPER AN EXPLANATION OF OHIO CRIMINAL SENTENCING LAWS By Daniel Gigiano Attorney at Law Daniel F. Gigiano Co., L.P.A., Wadsworth, Ohio Serving Medina, Summit and Wayne Counties gigianolaw.com 330-336-3330

More information

Defending Yourself in Court on a Not Guilty Plea

Defending Yourself in Court on a Not Guilty Plea Defending Yourself in Court on a Not Guilty Plea The ideal solution when you have been charged with a criminal offence is to allow a lawyer to handle your case. However, if the matter is reasonably simple

More information

>> OUR NEXT CASE OF THE DAY IS DEBRA LAFAVE VERSUS STATE OF FLORIDA. >> YOU MAY PROCEED. >> MAY IT PLEASE THE COURT. I'M JULIUS AULISIO.

>> OUR NEXT CASE OF THE DAY IS DEBRA LAFAVE VERSUS STATE OF FLORIDA. >> YOU MAY PROCEED. >> MAY IT PLEASE THE COURT. I'M JULIUS AULISIO. >> OUR NEXT CASE OF THE DAY IS DEBRA LAFAVE VERSUS STATE OF FLORIDA. >> YOU MAY PROCEED. >> MAY IT PLEASE THE COURT. I'M JULIUS AULISIO. I REPRESENT DEBRA LAFAVE THE PETITIONER IN THIS CASE. WE'RE HERE

More information

The Trial of Mr. Charles Ingalls (author unknown)

The Trial of Mr. Charles Ingalls (author unknown) 1: Trial Script The Trial of Mr. Charles Ingalls (author unknown) Issue: Mr. Charles Ingalls settled on Indian land in 1872, before the land was officially opened for white settlement. Did he recklessly

More information

IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE WESTERN DISTRICT OF MISSOURI ST. JOSEPH DIVISION

IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE WESTERN DISTRICT OF MISSOURI ST. JOSEPH DIVISION IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE WESTERN DISTRICT OF MISSOURI ST. JOSEPH DIVISION UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, Plaintiff, v. No. 09-00121-01-CR-SJ-DGK GILBERTO LARA-RUIZ, a/k/a HILL Defendant.

More information

State of Florida v. Bennie Demps

State of Florida v. Bennie Demps The following is a real-time transcript taken as closed captioning during the oral argument proceedings, and as such, may contain errors. This service is provided solely for the purpose of assisting those

More information

Trial Academy Voir Dire: The Rejection Process

Trial Academy Voir Dire: The Rejection Process 1 Trial Academy Voir Dire: The Rejection Process William M. Dalehite, Jr. Steen Dalehite & Pace, LLP 401 E. Capitol Street, Suite 415 Heritage Bldg., P.O. Box 900 Jackson, MS 39205 1 2 VOIR DIRE: THE REJECTION

More information

Lilliana Cahuasqui v. U.S. Security Insurance Co.

Lilliana Cahuasqui v. U.S. Security Insurance Co. The following is a real-time transcript taken as closed captioning during the oral argument proceedings, and as such, may contain errors. This service is provided solely for the purpose of assisting those

More information

FILED: NEW YORK COUNTY CLERK 09/17/2018 INDEX NO / :15 PM NYSCEF DOC. NO. 246 RECEIVED NYSCEF: 09/17/2018

FILED: NEW YORK COUNTY CLERK 09/17/2018 INDEX NO / :15 PM NYSCEF DOC. NO. 246 RECEIVED NYSCEF: 09/17/2018 SUPREME COURT OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK COUNTY OF NEW YORK - CIVIL TERM - PART: 23 -------------------------------------------------------X YOUSSOUF DEMBELE a/k/a MALAHA SALIK, -against- Plaintiff, ACTION

More information

IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF ARIZONA

IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF ARIZONA IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF ARIZONA IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF YAVAPAI 0 PRESCOTT SPORTSMANS CLUB, by and) through Board of Directors, ) ) Plaintiff, ) ) vs. ) ) MARK SMITH; TIM MASON; WILLIAM

More information